Speake-Marin presents the new Spirit Mark 2
Peter Speake-Marin must have had a busy summer, as he now launches a third new model this fall. Just a little while ago Speake-Marin already surprised us with the Piccadilly HMS, followed by the Resillience just a few weeks later.
The new Spirit Mark 2 is a renewed version of the (now sold out) Spirit Pioneer that has been redesign from the ground up. The Spirit Mark 2 retains the distinctive identity of the Spirit Pioneer, however it has a new movement, a new dial and a new case. Although everything has been redesigned, the Spirit Mark 2 still has the very recognizable Speake-Marin looks!
While the case looks very much the same as those of all other Speake-Marin watches, there is something new that has never been done on any other Speake-Mrin timepiece. The bezel has been hand finished with circular graining, while usually the bezel is polished. This finishing enhances the casual, contemporary style for which the Spirit is known.
Furthermore the 42 mm stainless steel case now has a solid case-back and is much slimmer then the case of the Spirit Pioneer. What remains the same, is the message that Spirit conveys, being the inspirational motto “Fight, Love & Persevere” engraved on the case-back that surrounds the centrally engraved Speake‑Marin ‘topping tool’ motif.
Hidden behind the engraved case back is a automatic movement. The press release calls it calibre TT738, which is a different name then the Eros-2 movement that we already know from the Piccadilly HMS and the Resilience. So despite the different name, it has similar specifications, for instance two main spring barrels offering 5-days of power reserve.
The dial of the new Spirit Mark 2 features numerals, hour and minute markers, a railroad chapter ring, the Speake-Marin name, the ‘signature’ topping tool motif and the Spirit title all in white Super-LumiNova moulded. That contrasts superbly against the light-absorbing matte black. This matches very well with the military style dial and also the brown leather strap perfectly supports this.
All together a very nice watch again, from one of my favorite watchmakers, Peter Speake-Marin. The price is 8,460 CHF without taxes.
I’m looking forward to seeing the new Spirit Mark 2 at SalonQP that starts later this week and of course I’ll share some photos when I come back.
Movement Specifications - Calibre TT738
- Unidirectional automatic-winding mechanical movement
- Dimensions: 30.40mm x 4.35mm
- Twin barrels delivering 120 hours power reserve
- Jewels: 35
- Frequency: 28,800vph / 4Hz
Case and strap:
- Piccadilly three-piece Stainless steel case
- Dimensions: diameter of 42 mm and height is 12 mm
- Water resistance: 3 atm/30m/100
- Front sapphire crystal treated with multi-layer anti-reflective coatings
- Domed compression case back with central Speake-Marin topping-tool engraving, “Speake-Marin” engraved on case-back above topping-tool motif and “Fight, Love & Persevere” motto engraved on the case back below topping-tool motif
- Red-brown calf leather strap with contrasting white stitching and stainless steel tang buckle
For more information an availability, please visit the Speake-Marin website.
This article is written by Frank Geelen, executive editor for Monochrome Watches.